Has this place truely died?
Arcturax
2024-05-22 01:18:14 UTC
AFD seems a ruin to me now, a place where I once ran and played and
sometimes fought with or besides so many. Now it sits empty, a little
crust here from a long ago food fight, a bird streaked statue of the
unknown dragon, empty fields and forests that once echoed with the
laughter of dragons and their friends.

I'll never forget this place, and I'm glad pieces of it survive elsewhere,
like habitable pieces of a shattered world.

But are there none left who visit this once happy shell?
--
Arcturax Myrzatrix
Batgryphon, friend of dragons
Telegram/Discord/Steam/VRChat: Arcturax
Bluefire
2024-05-23 09:29:46 UTC
Post by Arcturax
AFD seems a ruin to me now, a place where I once ran and played and
sometimes fought with or besides so many. Now it sits empty, a little
crust here from a long ago food fight, a bird streaked statue of the
unknown dragon, empty fields and forests that once echoed with the
laughter of dragons and their friends.
I'll never forget this place, and I'm glad pieces of it survive elsewhere,
like habitable pieces of a shattered world.
But are there none left who visit this once happy shell?
There's still me! :)

I have noticed that, with Google Groups discontinuing its integration
with Usenet, people are under the impression that alt.fan.dragons died
with it. They aren't aware there are other ways to access Usenet newsgroups.

With that said, Google Groups was by far the easiest way for people to
access newsgroups. It'll take a while before the word has spread
alt.fan.dragons is still around, and people have set up a Usenet client
of their own.
Arcturax
2024-05-25 01:50:31 UTC
Post by Bluefire
Post by Arcturax
[...]
Yeah, I figured that had a lot to do with it really dying down even more
here. You can get an account at eternal september, it expires if you don't
use it regularly (not sure how long before but I was able re-register in
minutes).
--
Mastondon: @***@chitter.xyz
Telegram/Discord/Steam/VRChat: Arcturax
Bluefire
2024-05-25 10:44:32 UTC
Post by Arcturax
Post by Bluefire
Post by Arcturax
[...]
Looking online, it seems some people are actually happy about Google
Groups getting decoupled from Usenet, due to a lot of spam originating
from there. I suppose that may have applied to big newsgroups, but I
don´t think it did alt.fan.dragons any favours.

I personally have Eternal September and my Usenet newsgroups integrated
with Thunderbird, my e-mail client of choice. I think it logs in every
time I check my mail, so I've never had the issue of my account being
flagged as inactive.
Arcturax
2024-05-26 00:50:05 UTC
Post by Bluefire
Post by Arcturax
Post by Bluefire
Post by Arcturax
[...]
Using Pan on Linux here, but its not the best reader, its interface kinda
sucks. Lets see if it can actually do my bloody sig this time.
--
Arcturax Myrzatrix
Batgryphon, friend of dragons
Mastodon: Arcturx (at) chitter (dot) xyz
Telegram/Discord/Steam/VRChat: Arcturax
jin xun
2024-08-08 19:46:39 UTC
Post by Arcturax
AFD seems a ruin to me now, a place where I once ran and played and
sometimes fought with or besides so many. Now it sits empty, a little
crust here from a long ago food fight, a bird streaked statue of the
unknown dragon, empty fields and forests that once echoed with the
laughter of dragons and their friends.
I'll never forget this place, and I'm glad pieces of it survive
elsewhere, like habitable pieces of a shattered world.
But are there none left who visit this once happy shell?
I'm still here too. I'm a bit sad that Google Groups have now terminated
their usenet support even if I am already on other paid servers, as none of
them provide as long a retention as Google did.
Apart from that, less activity means less live talks and more time-
irrelavant articles, adding to that downward spin.
But anyways, I will try to look around here once a week perhaps.How do you
link usenet to your email? I have always used web version of hotmail, not
sure whether that will also do.
Arcturax
2024-08-26 20:44:51 UTC
Post by jin xun
Post by Arcturax
[...]
I use thunderbird on Linux to get here and eternal-september as the
usenet provider